“Why do musicians get up at 6?” – “Coz the shops are closing at 7!” – ok, German humour, you got me. And: I’m not a musician anyway. But man, I hate getting up at 6. 6 in the morning that is. But most of all, I hate leaving the house at 6.
When I got to leave the house at 6am, rushing to the airport, leaving my warm bed behind, I hate my job. My kids are rubbing their eyes to tired to say good bye, the bags to carry downstairs were less many and less heavy last night, when I packed, and the coffe boils to slow to be ready in time. I will have to make this one a Starbucks morning. – I hate leaving the house at 6am.
Today, I got to leave only at 6:30! Joy. It does give me some time to think about a lovely weekend, golden October days and the apple pie we made from the windfall apples my friend Margarete brought me.
- 300g full grain wheat flour, pour it in a bowl, put than
- 125g sugar in the middle, add
- 1 egg on top of the sugar
- 200g ice cold butter go in bits as tiny as possible on the flour around sugar and egg.
Than I knead and, once ready, put the dough wrapped in something letting it not drie out fridge. Meantime, I peel and cut
- about 1kg apples, Boskop are great or any other sour apple. When the apples are to sweet, I add the juice of
- 1 lemon. I also love
- lemon zest
- a tiny bit of nutmeg and
- cinnamon on my cake. Most people take
- raisins as well and some add a little
Now 30 minutes should be over. I take the dough out of the fridge, squish it wit my hands flat in a baking dish (flat, large) and keep some dough to decorate the top later. To avoid the bottom getting all soggy, I add
- on top of the dough. Speread them, pour the left overs not sticking to the bottom out. Apples on top of breadcrumbed dough, left over dough on top of apples.
- Milk and
- 1 beaten egg
on top of the decoration does all the magic. Off in the oven you go, 50-55 minutes, 180 degrees Celsius in the preheated oven. Non-metric values and Farenheit to follow tonight, I gotta run leave the house!! – Fell free to do the service and add non-metric and Farenheit in the comments! Thanks! Bye!